Cape Jourimain Lighthouse
The 15.5 metre (51-ft) wooden lighthouse was completed in 1870 and remained operational for 126 years. The structure is located on Jourimain Island and is characterized by its tapered, octagonal design with classically inspired architectural details. It has a special bracketed lantern platform which supports a multi-sided lantern.
A petition was discussed in Provincial Sessional Papers as early as 1842 regarding erecting a lighthouse on Jourimain Island. Year later, in an effort to make navigating the Strait safer (at least six ships wrecked in the Strait between 1834 and 1870), the project was approved. The Dominion of Canada purchased the land for the lighthouse from its previous owner for $200 (approximately $5,000 today) and in December of 1870, the Cape Jourimain Lighthouse and keeper’s dwelling were completed.
Lewis Wells looked after the Lighthouse over the first winter, which remained non-operational until a temporary lighting apparatus was installed in April of 1871. On May 15th, John Bent was appointed as the first permanent lighthouse keeper. The Bent family operated the lighthouse for at least 70 years, becoming the longest serving family of lighthouse keepers in Canada.
In 1958, the light was fully automated, ending the service of the final lighthouse keeper, Merrill Trenholm. The lighthouse continued to operate for another 39 years before officially closing in 1997 when the Cape Tormentine ferry service was decommissioned as a result of the opening of the Confederation Bridge. In 2001, in a bid to protect the structure, the Cape Jourimain Nature Centre entered into negotiations with the Government of Canada to try to acquire the lighthouse. In 2016, Cape Jourimain officially acquired ownership and, with the help of donations, they began an extensive restoration project, which was completed in 2017.